DIY Felt Purse
This is a very simple and easy and project. There are so many ways on how to make a felt purse, but I am just showing you the basic and simple one. You can make this for teen girls to use as makeup bag, jewelry bag/storage or storage for your knick-knacks. Because I am happy of the result of this, I am thinking of making another one already. I would probably add fashion stuff on the next one, huh! What do you think? Well anyway, let’s get this one started first.
- 9 x 12 Blue felt
- Felt/Ribbon glue
- Lime green button
- 3 mm x 9.1 m Neon yellow ribbon
- Needle with lime green thread
- 2 Paper clips
1. Fold the felt 4.5 inches upwards. Leave 2.5 inches top as a flap for purse closure.
2. Fold the flap backward so it’s not on the way while you glue the felt. Lay it flat on the table.
3. Apply a line of glue on the left and right edges of the felt.
4. Fold the felt upwards and carefully stick them together.
5. Dry at least 30-40 minutes. You can put a heavy object on top of the felt so it adheres better.
6. Insert the paper clips on both glued edges. Fold in half (6a) and cut a curve shape on the top corner (6b). Then, remove the paper clips.
7. Starting from the front, apply a thin line of glue on the left and right edges.
8. Place the ribbon as a lining on top of the glue. Leave 6 inches of ribbon extension before cutting. Dry for 30-40 minutes.
9. Now, do the back with the same steps applied at (7 and 8). Use the ribbon extension to continue the lining.
10. Fold the flap. Estimate the center placement for the button, then start sewing starting from the inside of the purse. End the thread also inside.
11. Fold horizontally and pinch the flap on the center of the button, then cut just a little. Try to insert the button on the hole. If it doesn’t go through, cut the hole a little more to fit the button. The purse is done.
You can also use alternative colors or brand if you don’t have all the materials I listed is available. Just remember that, colors and contrast is important for emphasis. Also, while drying the glue, you can do something else, so there is no time wasted. Feel free to customize this if you want.
This project is not for kids. Take precaution when using the needle since it is painful when it pricks through your skin. Also, do not put pointy or sharp materials in this purse. It could break of slice the felt.
I hope you like this tutorial. Please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below. Happy crafting.